Two years after the Nice truck attack, more than 2000 victims have received compensation of just £33 million. This may sound like a large sum at first, but it equates to just under £15,500 per person on average.
Nobody wants to put a monetary value on a life or limb, but we believe compensation should at least ensure that victims don’t have financial stress added to the already significant problems they have to deal with.
For someone who has been physically injured, that £15,456 may only cover a small portion of lost earnings, lost possessions, cancelled or curtailed travel, and other associated costs.
When we look at the number of deaths and injuries from this attack though, it becomes even more of a concern. 86 people were killed and more than 400 injured in Nice that day – a total of 486 claimants. Even if the £33 million was split between just those 486 individuals or their beneficiaries, they would have each received £67,901.23 – still only two years’ income at best. And they had to wait two years.
Families of those killed in the Paris Bataclan attack, by comparison, would have received an estimated £18,000-£26,000 according to a Reuters report.
None of us can predict or prevent an act of terrorism, but we can be prepared and ensure that a financial burden isn’t added to our troubles – or our family’s – if we are affected. That’s why we created Safe Journey.
A Safe Journey terrorism travel insurance policy would have paid £25,000 in the event of death, within only a few days of the attack and without compromising other compensation payments such as the shared £33 million above.
Safe Journey would also cover:
- £100,000 in the event that you are permanently disabled.
- Up to £1,000,000 for emergency medical treatment overseas, including transportation costs and returning you back to your home.
- In addition Safe Journey covers evacuating you to a safe place and providing temporary accommodation if you are staying within 1 mile of where a terrorist incident occurs.
- Up to £3,500 for funeral expenses (burial or cremation abroad or for return to your home country)
- Up to £2,000 if you chose to cancel the trip you had booked. There are certain conditions that must be met in order to make a claim for cancelling your booked travel:
- The location of your booked accommodation is within 40 miles of the location of the act of Terrorism
- The event occurs within 42 days of your booked trip
- If you are delayed for more than 48 hours on your outbound journey due to an act of terrorism occurring within 40 miles of your departure or arrival destination, you may elect to cancel your trip and claim for cancellation.
- Safe Journey also covers up to £2,000 for your reasonable travel expenses (e.g. the same class of flight as your original booking) if you decide to cut short your travel and return home because there has been a terrorist event within 40 miles of where you are staying.
If you’re indirectly affected by an act of terrorism, smaller costs can add up too, but Safe Journey has you covered:
- Delays are almost inevitable when there has been an attack. We’ll cover £20 for each 8-hour period that you are delayed in your travel on any pre-booked public means of transport, up to a maximum of £200 in total. After 48 hours of delay on your outward journey to your destination, you may elect to cancel your trip and up to £2,000 will be paid for your cancellation.
- Up to £1,500 for your personal effects and possessions is also covered, including money, passports, and travel documents.
Please note, there are some limits for the value of each item which are shown in our Policy Wording.
- Last but not least, up to £200 can be claimed if there is a withdrawal of services for which you have pre-paid as part of your accommodation.
All this cover costs as little as £5.17 per person for a single trip of up to 8 days, and frequent travellers can get even more value – an annual multi-trip policy provides an entire year of cover for unlimited trips (up to 31 days each) from only £15.66 per person.
Please note, the above information is a summary of the Safe Journey policy only. For full details of cover, exclusions, terms and conditions, read our Policy Wording.