We’ve got you covered this summer
Soak up the sounds of salsa and the rhythm of sun-drenched Havana – now with the extra peace of mind that comes with protecting your pocket in case of terrorism. That includes up to £2000 per person for disinclination to travel if terrorism affects anywhere that you’re scheduled to travel in, to or through!
(Please see further details below.)
Safe Journey is a cost-effective way to give yourself more financial protection in case you’re affected by terrorism directly or indirectly when you travel this summer. We cover local and international destinations from Argyle to Zanzibar – and now Cuba is covered too.
All Safe Journey policies cover just about every destination imaginable, and we’re very pleased to announce that travel in, to or through Cuba is now included for any policy purchased on or after 1 July 2017.
Which countries aren’t covered?
Very few destinations can’t be covered by Safe Journey. As with most travel insurance policies, we cannot provide cover for a destination if the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has issued advice against all travel, or against all but essential travel. A few examples for which this advice is in place are Afghanistan. Syria and Tunisia.
These are generally not places most of us would choose for a summer holiday as we’re aware of political tension or a high threat of terrorism, but it’s always a good idea to double check the FCO’s advice for your destination before booking and before you depart, in case of any changes. Advice against travel to an area of the Philippines was recently added, for example, and some travel routes had to be revised as a result.
Countries which Safe Journey does not cover (regardless of whether advice against travel has been issued) are Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Iran, Sudan and North Korea.
So anywhere else is covered? Even a business trip to Cardiff or a weekend in the Cotswolds?
Yes! If you have an annual multi-trip policy (from £14.99 per person for an entire year) you’ll automatically be covered for:
- Any travel for which you book and pre-pay flights or accommodation
- An unlimited number of trips during the 1-year period of cover
- Each trip can be up to 31 days (with one or more destinations during that time)
- Any local and international destinations and transit points, except for those explained above
If you’re looking at a longer duration, a single trip policy can provide cover for up to 180 days of continuous travel, including multiple destinations and transfers.
Is the whole of Cuba covered? What about disinclination to travel?
Yes, as long as the FCO doesn’t issue advice against travel (or all but essential travel), any journey in, to or through anywhere in Cuba would be covered by a Safe Journey policy.
Remember that in order to make a claim on a Safe Journey policy:
- An act of terrorism must have occurred (not a threat or a hoax)
- You need to have purchased the policy before the act of terrorism took place – so it’s a good idea to purchase the policy when you book your trip!
- Disinclination to travel (cancelling a trip because you prefer not to go) applies if an act of terrorism takes place within a 40-mile radius of your booked route or destination, up to 6 weeks before you’re scheduled to depart.
- This is just a summary of one aspect of Safe Journey cover – click here for full terms, conditions, inclusions and exclusions.
You do still need comprehensive travel insurance – Safe Journey insurance is a top-up to ensure you’re comprehensively covered in case of terrorism, as this is excluded or limited by many travel insurance policies.
Whether you’re planning a leisurely island escape or a fast-paced city break, it’s easy to add extra peace of mind with Safe Journey.