No, this isn’t another Bitcoin story, and it isn’t new either because Safe Journey has been around for almost two years now! But we thought it was about time we gave you a recap of exactly how Safe Journey can help you.
We usually focus on cancellation cover… That’s what the majority of our policy holders value the most (for good reason!) and by now you probably know the “II there’s an act of terrorism anywhere within 40 miles of your destination, up to 6 weeks before your departure*” details by heart.
There’s a lot more to the UK’s first comprehensive terrorism travel insurance though, and it can cost as little as £5.17pp for a single trip of up to 8 days. That’s a couple of coffees, or a pint at some London pubs!
If you’re directly affected
This is still extremely unlikely but it’s good to know the cover is there, just in case.
If you’re injured by an act of terrorism:
- Emergency medical expenses: £1 000 000
- Evacuation and emergency temporary accommodation: £1 000
- Medical repatriation: £50 000
In case of death or disablement:
- Death: £25 000
- Permanent total disablement: £100 000
- Funeral expenses: £3 500
If you’re indirectly affected
What if there’s an act of terrorism when you’re already travelling? This is covered of course – if there’s an attack within 40 miles of your accommodation, Safe Journey can refund the unused portion of your trip.
If you’re staying within 1 mile of the attack, we’ll also provide emergency temporary accommodation (see above).
£20 per 8-hour period, up to a total of £200 per person
Travel delays can be expensive, and as we have seen, airports and other travel centres can be severely affected if there’s an act of terrorism – even if it doesn’t take place at the airport or station.
An attack can cause a lot of chaos and damage. If your possessions are damaged, lost or stolen due to an act of terrorism, you’ll be covered too.
- Valuables: Up to £250 per item – up to a total of £1 500
- Cash: £200 (£75 if under 18)
- Passport: £450
- Luggage delay: £200
These items have a policy excess of £75, except for luggage delay, which has no policy excess.
Withdrawal of Services
If you have booked a tour or activity such as tickets to a museum or attraction which can no longer operate due to an act of terrorism, you’re covered for up to £200 per person.
Disinclination to Travel
Always worth repeating! Cancellation cover, or disinclination to travel, applies if an act of terrorism takes place within a 40-mile radius of your destination, up to 6 weeks prior to your departure. It gives you the freedom to choose whether or not to travel, and enables you to book a trip knowing your investment is protected.
We’ll cover up to £2000 per person, with just £100 policy excess.
Cancellation cover has enabled our clients to cancel trips they had booked and paid for following acts of terrorism. They were able to reclaim their hard-earned money and spend it on a destination where they felt safer, or on the same destination at a time they were more comfortable with.
A few important points about Safe Journey*
- Safe Journey covers acts of terrorism. You still need a “regular” travel insurance policy.
- A lot of travel insurance policies limit or exclude terrorism cover, that’s why we designed Safe Journey as a top-up that can be added to any other policy.
- You should purchase your Safe Journey policy (and other travel insurance) when you make your booking so you’re covered from the start.
- You can’t buy your policy after an act of terrorism has taken place and expect to be covered for that incident. E.g. Barcelona was attacked on 17 August 2017. You would have been covered for a Barcelona trip if you had purchased your policy on or before 16 August, but not if you purchased it on 17 or 18 August when the attack had taken place.
- Safe Journey covers local and international travel, for business and leisure.
Get a quick, no-obligations quote and see how cost-effective extra peace of mind can be.
*Please note, this is a summary only. For full details of inclusions and exclusions, plus all the Ts&Cs, have a look at our Policy Wording – and give us a call if you have any questions.